We all have those days when nothing feels good, our shoulders are heavy and nobody seems to understand. I have been there too, quite a lot lately. Although we cannot run away from our problems altogether, sometimes we need to shut them out for a while and just focus on picking ourselves up.
Here are some things that always (read: most of the times) work for me:
- Chocolate: It is the best endorphin fix there is (for me, at least). A small amount of chocolate , especially dark chocolate, can help elevate moods and induce a sense of pleasure. If you are not used to the darker ones, start adding the darkness gradually- that's what I did; there was a time when I hated dark chocolate, but after reading about its health benefits I started increasing the cacao percentage and now my absolute favorite is Ghirardelli Intense Dark. So, here's another reason for you to splurge*!
- Hot bath: Baths can help reduce the stress and tiredness in body, and even help improve sleep. It has a pain-killing effect that makes you feel better. Add in some essential oils, light some candles, take a book (or not) and enjoy! If you are not a bath person, hot showers help too.
- Music: Listening to music really helps me most days. Some days I just need a distraction, other days I need to lift my mood. Music is always there. Music understands!
- Talk: Call a friend, or meet one- and just talk. Talking can be therapeutic; you don't even need to discuss your problems. It takes your mind off things, and most of the times you just have a good time and feel better.
- Exercise: Go to the gym, or run, or maybe just take a walk. Trust me, you will feel a lot better afterwards. Remember THIS.
- Tea: A cup of hot tea never fails to put me in a better mood. I usually make chai, and the process of making it is a tiny distraction too. Some of my friends say this about cooking too.
- Smile: Just put a smile on that face, even if that seems like the hardest thing right now. Just do it. See, it made you feel better right? Keep smiling.
*splurge: in small quantities :)
How do you make yourself feel better?